What’s it like to pastor the largest church in a country that has waged heavy religious persecution? Sri Lanka has suffered through a brutal civil war over the last three decades. Persecution has increased dramatically since the 1990’s and religious extremists have criminalized Christian conversions. How has the church continued to grow in spite of threats, harrasments and burnings? Our guest is here to tell us – and you’ll hear his remakable story of God’s amazing grace and power!
Dishan Wickramaratne, is the Senior Pastor of People’s Church Assembly of God (PCAG), and he is also the Chairman of Assemblies of God of Ceylon, Sri Lanka. People’s Church is a vibrant purpose driven Church that was founded by his father Dr. Colton Wickramaratne in Colombo, Sri Lanka, that ministers to over 8000 people weekly. PCAG is a church that believes in Missions. They have given birth to over 60 Home Mission Churches. They have Missionary works in Singapore, Hong Kong and Lebanon, reaching out to Sri Lankans. They have also planted a Church in Gulu – Uganda, Lucknow – India and have missionaries working in Assam and Jammu India. They sent two teams to assist in planting the London Family Centre in the United Kingdom. They also have a team working in the newest and one of the poorest countries in the world, East Timor. The PCAG is also a cell based church, which has over 1200 home cell groups at this moment. The monthly Miracle Rallies bring in many people to the Lord, as they experience miracles, healings and salvation. Pastor Dishan’s burning desire is to provide a means for every individual in the nation to hear at least once, the Good News of Jesus, in a land that is not even 1% born again. He has been a special guest on Saddlebacks Civil Forum on the Persecuted Church moderated by Dr. Rick Warren. Pastor Dishan and Jayani are blessed with 2 daughters, Shyara, Dilani and a son, Rajeev.
In Today’s Episode:
- How did your father, Dr. Colton Wickramaratne, influence you in your growing up years?
- What lessons did you learn from your father’s example?
- Why has the Christian church in Sri Lanka continued to grow in spite of persecution?
- How did God turn your love for rugby into a passion for loving people?
- Who is Adrian and how has he impacted your ministry each day of your life?
- Where did you go for one year to train for ministry?
- What lessons did you learn about spiritual disciplines?
- What did the wife of a Sri Lankan pastor do when her husband was killed?
Exodus 15:2 “The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”